Saturday, October 6, 2018

Day 2 - Sunday September 2

Arrival in France! I swear we were deplaned at the gate farthest from everything! The walk to get to passport control took at least 10 minutes, and then you ended up in a long series of switch backs for queuing up to get your passport stamped.

Then another hike to get to baggage claim and miracle of miracles my bag was just popping up as I got there, so no wait to get my bag. Another hike to get out of the baggage claim area and to the area where non-screened people can meet you. Unlike in the US, baggage claim is not an open place for any one. At this point I am having to handle all my own baggage.

I passed down the line of people waiting to meet family and tour reps waiting to meet passengers. Found my tour company and she got me to a quiet and cooler place to wait. Shortly after two more people arrived and based upon arrival times the three of us were sent off with a driver to the hotel in Paris. It took about 30 minutes from Charles De Gaulle airport to the hotel.

When we got to the hotel we were met by our program director Anne who let us know our rooms were ready, so we could rest! Yipee. I was tired and looking forward to a nap. 

Typical European windows, no screens and they fully opened with just a bit of iron work outside. They warned you about not letting your kids get out. I was on the first floor, keeping in mind in Europe the floors are ground floor (0), 1, 2, 3 etc.


Little spiky things to keep the pigeons from roosting!
Hotel was on the Place de la Republique.This open air plaza we were told is a place where Parisienne's gather to protest, but no protest while we were there. Also a subway stop right there to hop on to get around the city.
The art in my room, must have know a cat lover was coming to stay!
Didn't do much during the day, took a short nap, then did a bit of a walk on my own with lunch sitting outside at a cafe. Later our program director took us for a walk to show us the immediate area, how to use the subway, even where a local grocery store was in case we wanted to purchase food to eat in our rooms versus eating in a cafe.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful way to start your trip! No rushing to board a bus or ship, and the hotel bed looks very inviting.

    ReplyDelete